Thursday, January 24, 2013

Week 4 Food storage Challenge.

 
Keep working on the water. That is a never ending thing.

 

Week 4: 50 lbs wheat or flour/ Canned meats spam, chicken, tuna ect. or can your own.

If you can find a good sale on meat you can can it canning meat is very easy I show you how to can meat here. I like having canned meat on hand on very busy days I can open a Jar of meat and have a meal put together fairly quick. Get meat that your family will eat no point in getting spam or what ever if they will not eat it.

When you get your flour or wheat, if you have a way to freeze it for a week or so it will help kill all the critters in it. I store mine in a shed outside with spearmint gum in it. I get buckets from the local supermarkets bakery dept to store the four in. We have very cold winters so it stays froze all winter and I have never had a problem with it. If you live in a warmer area you will have to seal it up with oxygen absorbers you can order these online. If you store wheat put it in an air tight container with some dry ice. My dad stored somw wheat this way about 20 years ago he opened one the other day and it was still good and bug free.

I am almost done with the 72 hour kits hope to have a post on them soon. They took a little, longer then I had thought Trying to figure out food for, three days that isn’t to heavy was a little more challenging then I thought it would be. I used our hunting packs because they have lot of stuff in them already but I have had to clean and sort them out they were not as doable as I thought they would be.

How are you coming along on your 72 hour kits?
If you have any questions on the food storage just ask if I don't respond right away just check back I will get an answer to your question.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are always inspiring! Found this on Mostly Homemade Monday and would love to have you share this today on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.