Monday, November 12, 2012

Medicinal uses for Mormon tea



Medicinal uses for Mormon tea.

Mormon tea is a shrub that grows in the south western desert of the United States as well as Mexico. Some of the other names are Brigham tea, Squaw tea, Popotillo, and Joint Fir. There is always a lot by the old Indians ruins.


Mormon tea can be used for colds. Flu, headaches, lung problems, water retention, rheumatism.
It can be used safely for urinary tract problems as a diuretic and a a urinary tract astringent and a moderate anti-inflammatory.
As a externally dressing for wounds.
Mormon tea is on of the best tea sources for calcium if using for calcium make it fresh each time. It is helpful alone or with other plants for a women at risk for osteoporosis and in early menopause.
If drank on a regular basis it can help alleviate seasonal allergies.
Mormon tea does not cure asthma but it can help with the symptoms related to asthma.
It can help stem diarrhea.
Dried and powdered stems can be used externally as a dressing on wounds and sores.
It was used by frontiersmen to cure venereal or sexually transmitted diseases.




To use Mormon tea you can use it fresh or dried to brew a tea and can be drank hot or cold.

I mix mine in my peppermint and spearmint tea and drink it cold I use about 1/3 cup of each and brew a strong tea then add to a gallon picture and fill with water I do add sweetener .

 In the winter I will brew a cup of Mormon tea to drink hot I can’t drink coffee anymore so it is nice to have something that I can replace it with, and since it grows wild here it is free.








4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this informative post. Since I have this plan nearby, I'd like to try it for my allergies. Do you just use the green jointed parts or the smaller woody branches too (just curious how to 'manicure' the trimmings)? About how much of the fresh plant in a cup of tea? a tablespoon, more or less? I drank a sip of creosote tea recently (supposed to help with all kinds of ills) and it was really awful despite smelling good. Does this have a strong taste that needs to be disguised with mint or honey or can you stand it as-is? Thanks so much -- I can't wait to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Monsoon,
    I use the green jointed parts I never measure I just put in about half a handful per cup. The taste is not to strong My mom drinks it plain it is good by its self or added to another herb. If I drink it cold I do add mint tea to it but hot I drink by itself with a litle sweetner. Hope this helps
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this tea, and use it to get rid of congestion. It has an earthy flavor and is very aromatic.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.