Thursday, October 25, 2012

Canning Zucchini



My Garden did awful this year I think we got blight in it and that with the drought and hot weather I didn’t get hardly anything from it. A friend was nice enough to share some zucchini with me so I was able to dry and can some.
I do have to show you this one it is the biggest one I have ever seen it was 26 inches long I didn’t weigh it wish I would have.
 Any way here is how I can zucchini.
As with a lot of things I do the usda does not recommend canning zucchini that being said here is how I do it.



First I cut them into 7 to 10 inch pieces and then slice down the middle crossways.





Scoop the seeds out of each quarter.

Then I slice the peel off with the larger zucchini they are a little tougher to peel so I set them on a towel like this to keep it from sliding then I run a knife down the sides to peel.






Then grate them, I use my food processor. You can also cube or slice them.





Pack tightly into your sterilized jars, Add a 1/2 teaspoon salt and fill with hot water run a knife a long the sides to get out the air bubbles then put on hot lids and rings





Process in a pressure canner at the recommended pressure for your altitude (consult your owners manual) at 35 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts.


Canning the zucchini sure helps save on freezer space and since I am trying to get away from being so dependant on freezers this sure helps.


If you have any questions or comments please feel free, I would love to hear from you.

8 comments:

  1. How do you use it later? Baked with sauce and cheese? In bread? Just curious as I've never shredded zucchini except for use in bread. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Monsoon Matriarch

      Hi! I just use it for bread and cake it just get a little soft when you can it.
      Connie

      Delete
  2. Hi, I remember helping your grandmother do all sorts of canning food. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uncle David, So glad you stopped by.
      I am so glad that Grandma taught my Mom how to can so she could teach me. I can anything and everything now.
      Connie

      Delete
  3. how did this work out for u please let me know your results please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works great I just pour out about half the water when I go to use it. It is a little soft so I just use it in breads and cakes.
      Connie

      Delete
  4. how long does it keep? and thats great could also use it in dishes other that breads i bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what else do u can that they say shouldnt be lol?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.